Târgoviște is a city in the region of Muntenia, Romania, and the county seat of the Dâmbovița County. It is situated on the right bank of the Ialomița. At the 2011 census Târgoviște had a population of 79,610, making it the 26th largest city in Romania. One of the most important cities in the history of Wallachia, it was its capital between the early 15th century and the 16th century.
Târgoviște is a railway node, with branches serving Titu (joining there the Ploiești and Pietroșița).The railway station building was inaugurated on 2 January 1884, served by the then new line from Titu to Târgoviște. This first line was built by the VIIth Rail Company of the Ist Engineering Regiment of the Romanian Army. On 27 May 1894, an extension of this line to Pucioasa was inaugurated. The Ploiești-Targoviște branch construction was started in 1929, but officially inaugurated only on 29 June 1946.
Today, the city is served by multiple stations:
- Targoviste (south-west of the town)
- Romlux halt (north-west)
- Teiș halt (former Targoviste-Vest) (north)
- Târgoviște Nord station (north-east)
- Valea Voievozilor halt (east).
The railway station is open for both passenger traffic – with sales / reservation office and electronic ticketing machine – and merchandise traffic. Local halts serves the large industrial operators of the city – Mechel, Oțelinox [ro], Upet [ro], Erdemir, Romlux [ro], Rondocarton [ro].
Located at a crossroads of ancient trade routes, the city can be easily approached from all sides. Targoviste Municipality is located approximatively 80 kilometres (50 miles) north-west of Bucharest, with a convenient access to Otopeni International Airport Henri Coanda (located in the north of Bucharest).