Teramo

Italy

The region of Teramo is perfectly situated between the Adriatic Coast and the Apennine Mountains, making it a wonderful place to visit for beachcombers and mountain aficionados alike.

Teramo is a city and comune in the Italian region of Abruzzo, the capital of the province of Teramo.

HIGHLIGHTS

The city, 150 kilometres (93 miles) from Rome, is situated between the highest mountains of the Apennines (Gran Sasso d’Italia) and the Adriatic coast. The town is located by the confluence of the Vezzola and Tordino rivers, on a hillside area where the terrain features along with the Mediterranean climate make the territory rich in vineyards and olive groves.

The Province of Teramo borders on The Marches Region (to the north), the Province of Pescara and L’Aquila (south) and Lazio (west); it is characterized by the eastern side of the Apennines and by valleys gently sloping towards the Adriatic coastline. Its territory counts 47 municipalities; in addition to the chief town Teramo, the most densely-populated ones are Roseto degli Abruzzi and Giulianova.

The economy of the town is mostly based on activities connected with agriculture and commerce, as well as a sound industrial sector: textiles, foods, engineering, building materials and ceramics. Teramo can be reached from the A14 and the A24 motorways.

Main sights

The city’s main attractions include:

  • the Cathedral of Saint Berardo, built in 1158 by bishop Guido II, in Romanesque style. It has a portal in Gothic style, finished in 1332 by the Roman master Deodato di Cosma. It houses a silver antependium by Nicola of Guardiagrele (with 35 scenes of the life of Jesus) and a polyptych by the Venetian artist Jacobello del Fiore depicting the Incoronation of the Virgin. Annexed is a 50-metre-tall (164-foot) bell tower.
  • the Romanesque church of Sant’Antonio (1127), with a decorated portal. The interior, with a single nave, was renovated along Baroque lines.
  • the church of San Getulio, built in the early Middle Ages on the ruins of a Roman temple, finally destroyed in 1155 by the Normans. Only the presbyterium and some Romanesque elements of the original building remain today.
  • the church of San Domenico (14th century) with a fine Virgin with Child.
  • the sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie (also known as Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie). It has a Romanesque cloister and a 15th-century miraculous wooden statue of the Virgin, attributed to Silvestro dell’Aquila.
  • the Palazzo Vescovile (“Bishops Palace”), from the 14th century.
  • the remains of the Roman theatre (built about 30 BC) and of the amphitheatre (about 3rd–4th century AD). Under Palazzo Savini are remains of a Roman domus, including a 1st-century BC opus tessellatum pavement which depicts a fighting lion and other decorative elements.
  • the Torre Bruciata (“Burnt Tower”), a Roman tower from the 2nd century BC, in opus quadratum. The name derives from the traces left by the siege in 1156 by Robert III of Loritello.
  • Church of Santa Maria de Praediis (10th–11th centuries), built using materials from the destroyed castle and Roman villas and temples.

University of Teramo
The University of Teramo offers 5 faculties, 24 bachelor’s degree courses, 35 master’s, 6 postgraduate schools and 10 departments. The Coste Sant’Agostino Campus holds the faculties of Law, Communication Sciences, and Political Science. The University is going through a period of internationalization by offering scholarships to students from all over of the world.

Osservatorio Collurania
The Observatory of Teramo was founded by Vincenzo Cerulli in 1890–1891, and donated to the Italian administration in 1891. Starting from 1994, the observatory owns an 80-centimetre-diameter (31.5 in) optical telescope.

Contact

Municipality of Teramo
email
affarigenerali@comune.teramo.pecpa.it
address
Via Giosuè Carducci 33, 64100 Teramo
phone
0861 3241