Trzin is a town in the eastern part of the Upper Carniola region of Slovenia. It is the seat of the Municipality of Trzin and also the only settlement in the municipality.
|• Mayor||Peter Ložar|
|• Total||8.6 km (3.3 sq mi)|
|Population (July 1, 2018)|
|• Density||450/km (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02 (CEST)|
Trzin has a population of 3,922. Its elevation is 299 metres (981 ft) above sea level. The town is divided into three parts: the old quarter, Mlake (the new quarter), and the trade-industrial zone. The oldest part of the town is located between Onger Hill to the west and the Mengeš Basin (Slovene: Mengeško polje) to the east. Trzin’s elementary school, town hall, library, fire station, and the 14th-century St. Florian’s Church, as well as a number of farms, are all in this part of the town.
Mlake, which is located on the west side of Onger Hill, has banks, a preschool, a leisure centre, and several pubs. It was built on a former swamp. The trade and industrial zone is the newest part of Trzin, built in 1985.
The Slovene politician and journalist Ivan Hribar was born in Trzin.
In the past, St. Florian’s Church underwent several renovations, including after the 1895 Ljubljana earthquake. It contains works by several renowned artists, including Franc Jelovšek, L. Layer, M. Koželj, and Jože Plečnik. The church, which was first documented in 1526, has been the seat of an independent parish since 1974.
Trzin Primary School was founded in 1985. Prior to this, children in Trzin went to school in Mengeš or Domžale. The new school was initially named Edvard Kardelj Elementary School, after a leading member of the Communist Party, but its name was changed after independence was declared. The school was expanded between 2003 and 2005. Today, it has eighteen sections (first to ninth grade) instructing more than 350 children. It offers a wide range of activities in culture, science, social sciences, technical subjects, and sports. Two preschool groups, called Thumbelina (Slovene: Palčica) and Frogs (Slovene: Žabice), provide childcare facilities.
Starting in 1894, Trzin had its own municipality and gendarmerie. Municipal matters were run by a judge, with two assistants. On the formation of municipalities in the second half of the 19th century, Trzin received a local office, which operated independently until the German annexation, when Trzin was joined to the Municipality of Mengeš. In the first election in which councillors of the local people’s committees were elected, the town was re-joined to Mengeš. In 1970, Trzin regained its autonomy within the municipality of Domžale. Trzin became an independent municipality in 1998. The mayor of the Municipality of Trzin is Peter Ložar.
The Onger Hiking Club, which was founded in 1983, is named after the hill that divides the old and new parts of Trzin.