The University of Trnava (in Trnava) is one of the oldest universities in Slovakia. It is based in Trnava, in the west of Slovakia.
The original Jesuit university was founded in 1635 by the Archbishop of Esztergom, Péter Pázmány. It had a faculty of arts, faculty of theology, faculty of law (since 1667) and faculty of medicine (since 1769). It lasted 142 years in Trnava (German: Tyrnau; Hungarian: Nagyszombat) when it was moved to Buda in 1777 and finally to Pest in 1784. Its legal successor is the Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest, Hungary.
The present-day university was established in 1992 and although bears the same name, it isn’t a legal successor. It currently has five faculties, 4 of them seated in Trnava:
- Faculty of Philosophy and Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Health and Social care
- Faculty of Law
and 1 in Bratislava:
- Faculty of Theology