Valmiera

Latvia

nature…

Gauja River Steep Banks

One of the most picturesque and beautiful places at the shores of Gauja in Valmiera. 80 metres wide and 10-15 metres high, the most complete outcrops of the third top terrace in the Gauja valley. The shore opens up a snoring view to the river and the opposite shore. Gauja is suitable for boating, but the pathways by the shores can be used for walks, bike rides and leisure.

Sightseeing Terrace by the River Gauja

Sietiņiezis (White sandstone cliff)

The biggest white sandstone outcrop in Baltics – 15 m high and 400 m wide. In the sun it warms up and keeps warmth, hence, wild bees have chosen it as their home, creating the unique honeycomb in the walls of the outcrop. There is a well-established nature trail with several viewing platforms. Places for picnic are available, as well as information stands and a parking lot.

Lake Burtnieks

The fourth biggest lake in Latvia stretching 13,5 km long in the western part of Northern Vidzeme. Average depth – 2,4 m, maximum depth – 4,3 m, width – 5,5 km. 23 bigger and smaller rivers flow into the lake. More than 20 various species of fish inhabit the lake. Fishing is allowed with licences.

Lake Vaidava

One of the most popular leisure spots for locals and visitors. At the beach of Vaidava lake there’s a visitor-friendly place of leisure and picnics, WCs, a volleyball court and a playground specially suited for children.Average depth – 5,3m, maximum depth – 9m. Fishing is allowed with licences.

Atpiļi Sacred Oak
The girth of Atpiļi oak is 8,1 metres. It is approximately 800 years old, an ancient cult site. 
Atpiļi Sacred Oak was already listed in the grand trees list of 1924

Millpond

Lake Dzirnavu is a beautiful place with an interesting history in the centre of Valmiera for walks and leisure.

culture and history…

Valmiera St. Simon`s church

The church was built at the end of the 13th century, almost completely keeping its medieval looks. Several valuable art monuments can be found in the church: burial plaques (15-16th century), the Ladegast pipe organ (1886), a pulpit with paintings from 1730s. Starting from August 2019 guests can visit the bells and clock mechanism of the church. From the church tower you have a beautiful panoramic view on Valmiera.

The Iron Bridge

An object of the industrial heritage. It is a steel bridge over the Gauja River built in 1911. It used to connect the 114 km long Ainaži-Valmiera-Smiltene route (quit operating in 1971). A great place for hiking and is a part of the green cycling route.

The Hanseatic Wall

The Hanseatic wall is a painting of the facade of the house, which was created to remind the people of Valmiera and the guests of the city about the important and almost lost medieval period in Valmiera.

Memorial dedicated the victims of World War II

Trikāta Castle Mound and Livonian Castle Ruins

Thye site of an ancient Latgallian castle (possibly Beverina Castle). Destroyed during the Northern War.; At present Trikāta open air stage is located inside the ruins.

Catholic Church

This seemingly simple worship house was built on the basis of a 17 century church in Višķi, in Latgale. The church was pulled down in 1939 and taken to Valmiera. Later on brick veneer was placed on the walls of the wooden structure; the walls were plastered and painted.  It was reconstructed in 2013 after which it received its present look.  

Orthodox Church of St. Sergey of Radonezh

The Orthodox congregation in Valmiera was established in the 1920s, when many Russian merchants, craftsmen and soldiers settled in the city. In Vidzeme in general, the conversion of Latvian farmers to Orthodoxy is widespread, both under the general policy of Russification and hoping to acquire land in this way.

The construction of the new Valmiera Orthodox church began in 1877 and was completed in December 1878. Its author is the first academically educated Latvian architect Jānis Frīdrihs Baumanis (1834–1891). The church was consecrated on May 16, 1879. The church was built of torn gray boulders. Eaves, corners and cornices are made of red locally made bricks.
Next to the church is the Mengden family chapel – a mausoleum (built in 1903). A new iron fence was built around the chapel, on stone poles and on a stone foundation. The money, 2000 rubles, was given for the construction of the fence by Count George Mengden’s son Georgy Mengden. On November 9th, 1903, in the presence of Dmitry Muraveisk, a clergyman of the Church of St. Sergey of Radonezh, took the coffin of Count George Mengden’s father with ashes from the Lutheran chapel to the chapel of the Orthodox church. Inside it, on the east wall, a marble slab with an inscription was fastened and the symbol “Resurrection” was placed in a special niche.

Mujāni medieval castle ruins and the White Tower

Mujāni medieval castle was built by the vassals of Archibishopof Riga – Rozenu family- in the end of 15th century. The castle was destroyed during the Northern Was. It had two massivetowers, of which only one – The White Tower remained until nowdays. Next to castle ruins buildings of Mujāni manor complex are located (first mentioned in 1390), an architectural monument – House of Educational Society, ruins of water-mills and millpond. 

Ēvele Manor Park and a barn

Ēvele manor granary was built in 1793 and it is national signification architectural monument, as well as notable classicism architectural monument.

Ēvele manor is surrounded by trees that were planted in the 19th century.

Contact

email
pasts@valmierasnovads.lv
address
Lāčplēša Street 2, Valmiera, Valmieras novads, LV-4201
phone
6 4207120