Várpalota

Hungary

Várpalota is a town in Western Hungary, in the Transdanubian county of Veszprém. It was a mining town during the Socialist era, but the mines have been closed. Most of the citizens work in the nearby cities, Veszprém or Székesfehérvár.

Points of interest 

Várpalota Castle 

In the center of the city, in the Freedom Square, which is easily accessible from all directions, stands the castle of the castle palace , also known as the Palace Castle or Thury Castle .

According to the research of historians, its direct predecessor is the Pusztapalota, also known as the Bátorkő Castle, which is a few kilometers away and is crumbling in the density of Bakony . In the second half of the 19th century, the Csák clan was erected . A XV. In the 16th century, it became necessary to create an more easily accessible landlord’s estate center, which was built by the Újlak noble family, with natural stone walls of course due to the poor public safety of the period. In later decades, the Újlaki family gradually transformed it into a noble residence with four corner towers, surrounded by residential and farm buildings, until 1524 , when they became extinct. The widow of Prince Lőrinc Újlaki in 1525 aIn the civil wars after the battle of Mohács , he married László Móré , who became a robber knight in a way that was not uncommon at the time . He always sided with János Szapolyai and Ferdinánd Habsburg , who promised him more. Therefore, in 1533 , the followers of King John, fortified with Turkish troops, seized the property in a siege, from which Móré managed to escape, leaving her children and treasures behind. Later, Palota Castle was also incorporated into the border fortress system established by the Vienna Military Council against the conquering Turks, forming one of its important bases. During the Fifteen Years’ War, 1593However, the Turkish flag was also hoisted on the towers of the Palace, and the Hungarians leaving the ruined fortress were cut down by the enemy in disbelief. Even in the 17th century, the less fortified border fortress changed hands several times, and its last battles took place in front of the walls of the Kuruc War of Independence. As the landowner at the time, the Zichy family, who was an absolute Habsburg loyalist, only its outer fortifications were demolished, the residential buildings were transformed into a castle with a comfortable Baroque taste. It is in this state that the castle dates back to the 20th century , when the centuries-old stone walls were renewed as a result of the work of monument protection specialists.

Ruins of Bátorkő-Pusztapalota castle [ edit ]

Bátorkő or Pusztapalota is located north of Várpalota, just over an hour’s walk from the city, in a cliff in the Fajdas Mountains . This castle was built at the beginning of the 14th century , in one of the most beautiful parts of the Bakony , so that the landlord can keep an eye on the surrounding estates. It was the seat of palatine Miklós Újlaki , which he “outgrew” and therefore it became necessary to rebuild the manor house, originally located in the center of the city, into a four-tower tower. Ferenc Móra , Kálmán Mikszáth and Gyula Krúdy also mention it in their works as a hunting ground. Petofi Sandor one AszódAt the end of his poem, he wrote Pusztapalota, which we do not yet know whether it is this or the Pusztapalota near Pest. It was built as a three-storey tower, mainly a customs collection point and no castle, as indicated by its 15-meter-high wall remains. Since it could only be approached from one direction, from the southwest, it was probably done with a drawbridge. Traces of this can no longer be seen today, for the chasm which separated it from the hills opposite from the west was filled over time by the falling masses of stones. It was last mentioned as a brave stone in a document from around 1590 , and then it appears the next time in the lawsuit between the lords and the population in 1720, when it was already referred to as “Pusztapalota”, as an uninhabited wilderness.

Roman Catholic Church 

It is located in the city center, opposite Thuri Castle. It was built between 1774 and 1777 by János Varschafter, a master builder from Székesfehérvár , in the Baroque style . Its nave is divided into 4 shop fields, its sanctuary is half pentagonal. Its bell bears the year 1743 ; which was either taken second-hand or belonged to a 19th century castle chapel. 

Zichy Castle 

To the west of the castle, above the Roman Catholic Church, stands on Castle Hill. In 1724 , one of the landlords of the Palace, Count Zichy II. The wife of Imre Orva County Chief, Count Terézia Erdődy, began construction. He chose the dominant point of the city as the scene of the castle. The castle burned down in 1860 , but fortunately it was owned by an art-loving landlord, János Waldstein – a friend of Széchenyi , who rebuilt it in 1865 according to the plans of Miklós Ybl . He enriched it with works of art and a library. He decorated the walls and ceiling of the huge circular library room with frescoes. Unfortunately, the books and side frescoes were destroyed during the war and the period that followed, but the fresco on the ceiling by Béla Pállikhis work, fortunately, has survived and is still visible today with few repairs. Today, the building is home to the only Trianon Museum in the country .

Gyula Nagy Gallery 

It was named after the city’s painter, Gyula Nagy , who originally used the building as a synagogue . In 1834 , construction began on the determination of the local Jewish community , which was completed in 1840 . The building is strongly related to the old synagogue in Óbuda , and apart from them, no synagogue was built in Hungary in the Classicist style .
From 1986 to 1997, it hosted the city’s fine art collection and temporary exhibitions.

Lutheran Church 

It is located in György Thuri Square, behind the castle. It was built in 1777/80 without a tower, on the site of a church that had already stood there. The tower was completed in 1805 , the galleries in 1810 , and the altarpiece in 1799 . Above the main entrance is a red marble plaque from 1807 : “Enter through the gates with thanksgiving…” ( Psalm 100 ). You can also read the date of construction ( 1779 ) and the date of construction of the tower ( 1805 ).

Reformed Church 

The church was built in late Baroque style on the walls of the former Huszárvár on Jókai Street. Single-nave, three-section church. It was built in 1788 according to an inscription above its main entrance. In this temple, in 1886, a missionary named Mary Molnar, who was murdered by the Japanese in 1943 on the island of Pitilu in Southeast Asia, Indonesia, was baptized.

The chapel can be found in the Roman Catholic cemetery. Built by Talheim Mary Count Zichy III. John’s wife. Date of construction 1738 . The altar was carved from sandstone, according to local traditions by Nádel, a German stone carver from the palace. The belfry was built in 1944 according to the plans of architect Gábor Bene. The building is in Baroque style, with a hemispherical dome and no tower. A Gothic stone head was placed on its western façade . Above the altarpiece of the Virgin is the coat of arms of Zichy.

St. Donat’s Chapel 

The chapel is located in the Loncsos part of Várpalota. The XVIII. It was built in the 16th century and renovated and rededicated in 1999. His altarpiece features a leafy, clustered vine running from center to right on the eyebrows of a destroyed, carved stone door frame.

Good Luck Cultural Center 

It was built from 1952 to 1957 according to the plans of Antal Károlyi , a Ybl-award winning architect, with the classicizing features typical of the Rákosi era. The ornaments of his ceiling panel were made on the basis of Transylvanian folk motifs. The works of Noémi Ferenczy’s students can be seen in the space between the foyer and the auditorium of the theater . The members of the ensemble: Éva Pintér, Katalin Prepelicza, Gizella Solti and Erzsébet Szőke were made in 1958 .Good luck Cultural Center

Fodor Sára Country House 

The grand opening of the Country House was part of the 1986 Várpalota Days series of events; opening speech by dr. Zoltán Törőcsík, then director of the Dezső Laczkó Museum , said.  The Fodor Sára Country House is a 19th century At the beginning of the 19th century, a residential house built of natural stone was left at the foot of prefabricated houses during town planning.

Szabó sand mine 

The Szabó sand mine is located in one of the garden city parts of Várpalota, south of the main road No. 8. The lower 2-meter part of the 9-meter-high wall has yellow sand deposited from the sea. Gray river sand, rich in fossils, is 4-6 meters thick. The sand layer is young, covered with a coarse layer of gravel. According to research, approx. 400 different species of molluscs were found. 

Roman mound tombs in Inota 

“The Kr. U. 2nd century derived from the first half two sheets of approx. 25 meters in diameter Inota pile cried K. Palágyi Sylvia revealed in 1973 and 1975 between. The mounds of two members of the contemporary indigenous aristocracy, an elderly man and a young boy Another special feature is the limestone perimeter wall surrounding mound No. 2, which was joined on the south side by a small room with a rectangular floor plan and a cult function decorated with frescoed paintings.

Inota Church 

The Árpádian church in Inota was dedicated to St. Martin. A XI. It was built in the 16th century, leaving only one shrine for Turkish times. According to records from 1747, it already had two altars. The church was built of stone, yet it collapsed several times even after many restorations and renovations. 

Contact

Várpalota
email
varpalota@varpalota.hu
address
8100 Várpalota, Gárdonyi Géza u. 39.
phone
(88) 592-660,