Wolfsberg

Austria

Wolfsberg has been an important trading centre and transportation hub for centuries. From the Middle Ages to the early modern era the town profited from its location on the major trading route between Judenburg and the South, as well as its rich deposits of gold, silver and iron.

Wolfsberg is a town in Carinthia, Austria, the capital of Wolfsberg District. The town is situated within the Lavanttal Alps, west of the Koralpe range in the valley of the Lavant River, a left tributary of the Drava. In the northeast, the road up to the Packsattel mountain pass connects Wolfsberg with Voitsberg in Styria. Wolfsberg’s municipal area of 279 km2 (108 sq mi) is the fourth largest in Austria.

Main sights

The magnificent neo-Gothic Tudor style Wolfsberg Castle watches over the town from on high. The natural paradise of the Koralpe, Klippitztörl and Saualpe offers a wide variety of leisure facilities in both summer and winter, and plenty of space for recreation. The Saualpe in particular is considered a popular hiking paradise for families. The Koralpe and Klippitztörl attract skiers who prefer small but perfectly formed winter sports locations.

The urban municipality of Wolfsberg has a historic old town with numerous places of interest, such as St Mark’s Church or Wolfsberg Castle.

The area of Wolfsberg belonged to the estates within the medieval Duchy of Carinthia that were ceded to the Prince-Bishopric of Bamberg, probably already by Emperor Henry II in 1007. The castle above the town was first mentioned as Wolfsperch in an 1178 deed of St. Paul’s Abbey in the Lavanttal. The adjacent settlement became the administrative centre of Bamberg’s Carinthian territories and in 1331 received town privileges by Prince-Bishop Werntho Schenk von Reicheneck.

During the Protestant Reformation the Bayerhofen Castle residence, first mentioned in 1239 and rebuilt in the 16th century, became a center of Lutheranism, which nevertheless was suppressed by the Counter-Reformation. In 1759 the Habsburg empress Maria Theresa acquired all Bamberg lands in Carinthia. Wolfsberg Castle was purchased by Count Hugo Henckel von Donnersmarck in 1846 and rebuilt in a Tudorbethan style.

In World War II the village of Priel south of the town center was the site of the Stalag XVIII-A prisoner-of-war camp with about 7,000 inmates. After the war it served as a detention camp run by the British occupation forces.

Economy

In the last few years Wolfsberg has opened up several large areas of land for businesses to locate, notably the industrial zone to the south of the town which has its own motorway exit.

What are the advantages of Wolfsberg as a business location?

  • It lies directly on the A2 motorway and is only 40–60 minutes’ drive from Graz and Klagenfurt.
  • It is an important transport node (A2 motorway, B70 main road, railway)
  • It lies on the planned high-speed railway line (Koralm tunnel)
  • The international airports in Graz and Klagenfurt are both only about 60 kilometres away
  • Electricity, water, district heating and natural gas are cost-efficient
  • Land has been opened up for businesses to locate
  • There is a wide range of schools and the workforce is particularly well qualified
  • It offers a high quality of life (inexpensive housing, numerous sports and leisure facilities, a wealth of cultural attractions, parks, greenbelt land etc.)
  • Great importance is attached to promoting business

Contact

Stadtgemeinde Wolfsberg
email
stadt@wolfsberg.at
address
Rathausplatz 1 9400 Wolfsberg
phone
04352/537-0